Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Ancient Franciscan Monastery

The old convent of the Barefoot Franciscans of Puente del Arzobispo, built between 1617 and 1620, was financed by the alms of the inhabitants of the town and especially by the nobleman Don Juan de Villarroel. After the War of Independence, the community returned briefly until the convent was finally abandoned in the first quarter of the 19th century. The convent buildings were reused as farmhouses and stables, and the church was used as a storehouse. In the nineties of the twentieth century, the remaining buildings were demolished, leaving only the church, which remains today as the only testimony of the old convent.

The convent church, declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, is a building of large proportions with a Latin cross floor plan, a single nave with three bays covered by a barrel vault and a transept crowned by a dome on pendentives. The supporting walls are in masonry, reinforced with ashlars in the corners, and the original entrance was marked by a segmental brick arch. The brick Herrerian belfry with pediment and semicircular arch, located at the foot of the church, stands out. The interior has a choir and an altar with a flat apse. The church and its outstanding structure reflect the historical and architectural importance of the convent, which is planned to being restored to serve as a pilgrims’ hostel.



  • Address
    C. Talavera, 44C, El Puente del Arzobispo, Toledo
  • Web
  • Visiting Hours
  • What to see
    Ancient monastery

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment