Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Santa María del Palacio Church

The Church of Santa María del Palacio, located on Calle Mayor in Logroño, is a monument of great historical and architectural value. Its construction dates back to the 12th century, with a new building ordered by Alfonso VII “The Emperor” after the donation of a previous church. It presents a mixture of styles that include Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque, evidenced in its three naves, triple chevet and a bell tower built between 1549 and 1552. Its Gothic pyramidal dome, known as “la Aguja” (the Needle), stands out, although it was closed in the 18th century for reasons of stability. The church houses numerous artistic treasures, including altarpieces, sculptures, frescoes and tombs, which show the richness of its history and religious heritage.

Over the centuries, the Church of Santa Maria del Palacio has undergone several remodeling and enlargements, reflecting the evolution of the architecture and artistic taste of each era. The oldest part, in Gothic style, dates from the 13th century, while the transept and the chancel were rebuilt in the 15th century with Renaissance elements. In the 18th century, renovations were carried out to reinforce the structure and support the imposing exterior pyramidal spire. This church is a living testimony of Logroño’s history and an important center of devotion and culture in the city.


  • Address
    C. Marqués de San Nicolás, 36, Logroño, La Rioja
  • Web
  • Visiting Hours
    Every day from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
  • What to see
    La aguja (The Needle), cloister

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment