Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Carthusian monastery of Trisulti

The Carthusian Monastery of Trisulti, located in Collepardo in the woods of the Ernici Mountains, is one of the most beautiful monasteries in central Italy, ideal for contemplation. Founded in 1204 by the Carthusians by order of Pope Innocent III, it was built near the site where St. Dominic of Sora had erected a monastery in the year 1000. The Carthusians resided there until 1947, when they were replaced by the Cistercians of the Casamari Congregation. Recognized as a national monument in 1879, since 2014 it has been managed by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities through the Regional Directorate of Museums. The structure has been expanded and modified over the centuries, adopting a predominantly Baroque style.

The complex, accessed through a large portal adorned with a bust of St. Bartholomew by Jacopo Lo Duca, includes the church of St. Bartholomew, consecrated in 1211, with a mixture of Gothic architecture and Baroque decoration. The church houses two wooden choirs from the 16th and 17th centuries and notable works of art such as frescoes by Giuseppe Caci and paintings by Filippo Balbi. The monastery’s former pharmacy, dating back to the 18th century, is notable for its Pompeian and trompe-l’œil decorations, as well as its display of ancient medicinal herb containers. This rich artistic and spiritual heritage makes the Charterhouse of Trisulti an important cultural and religious destination.

  • Address
    Certosa di Trisulti, Collepardo, Italy
  • Web
  • Visiting Hours
    Everyday from 10:00 to 16:00
  • What to see

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment