Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

St Scholastica Abbey

The Monastery of St. Scholastica of Subiaco is the only one of the twelve monasteries founded by St. Benedict in the Subiaco Valley to have survived earthquakes and Saracen destruction. Originally known as the Monastery of St. Sylvester, it changed its name in the 9th century to the Monastery of St. Benedict and St. Scholastica, and adopted its present name in the 14th century. This monastery, located east of Subiaco at an altitude of 510 meters, is an architectural complex of different periods and styles. Its three cloisters stand out: the 16th-century “Renaissance Cloister,” the 14th-century “Gothic Cloister,” and the 13th-century “Cosmatesque Cloister.” The present church, the fifth in its history, dates back to the late 18th century, while the bell tower was erected in the 12th century.

Between the 11th and 13th centuries the monastery experienced its heyday, receiving large donations from kings and clergymen that made it one of the most powerful fiefdoms of the Papal States. Also, in 1465, the first Italian printing press was installed there. The monastery of St. Scholastica has a history rich in reconstructions and transformations. Devastated by Saracens in the 9th century, it was restored with the help of Popes Gregory IV and Leo IV. The Romanesque church was consecrated by Pope Benedict VII in 980, and the cosmatesque cloister was built under Abbot Lando. In the 19th century the monastery became part of the Cassinese Congregation and, after the bombings of World War II, was restored. Today St. Scholastica remains a symbol of the rich Benedictine tradition and resilience in the face of historical challenges.

  • Address
    Piazzale Santa Scolastica 1, Subiaco, Italy
  • Web
  • Visiting Hours
    Everyday from 9:3 to 12:15 pm and from 3:30 to 6:30 pm
  • What to see

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment