Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

St Agatha Chapel

  • Address
    Triq Ħal Far, Iż-Żurrieq, Malta
  • Web
  • Visiting Hours
  • What to see

St. Agatha’s Chapel, located in Triq Hal Far, Zurrieq, has a history dating back to the 15th century. Originally built in the 15th century, the present structure was rebuilt in 1854 by Cikku “ta’ Katita” Grixti, fulfilling a promise from a devout woman. Dedicated to St. Agatha, one of Malta’s minor patron saints, the saint is believed to have sought refuge in Malta during the Roman persecutions of the 3rd century AD. During World War II, the chapel served as a spiritual base for British soldiers in the area and was the site of Masses by Benedictine Father Rutledge.

The history of St. Agatha’s Chapel spans several centuries, with records indicating its existence in the 15th century and its maintenance during the 16th century. However, in 1658, the Bishop of Malta, Balaguer, deconsecrated it. The present structure, built in 1854 by Grixti, is smaller than the original and was blessed in 1859. In 1952, Father Saviour Farrugia enlarged it, paved it and acquired new vestments and a Stations of the Cross. Although not often used today, St. Agatha’s chapel remains a place of devotion, and the feast is celebrated on the Sunday following February 5.

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment