Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Franciscan Convent of Pina

The Franciscan church and cloister of Pina de Ebro represent a valuable testimony of patronage and religious architecture in the Aragonese region. Founded in 1530 thanks to the patronage of the first Count of Sástago, Don Blasco de Alagón, the convent was built taking advantage of an old Mudejar temple, which today is the parish church of the Assumption of Our Lady. Over the centuries, the church underwent several transformations, from the improvements made by the third Count of Sástago in the 16th century to the reforms of the 18th century. The restoration begun in 1985 has made it possible to recover elements such as the cloister, the sacristy and the chapel of the Virgin, thus preserving its historical and cultural importance.

The cloister, located in the center of the monastic buildings, reflects the sobriety and harmony characteristic of the Levantine Gothic and Aragonese Renaissance of the 16th century. With its square galleries and two raised brick floors, the cloister has been reconstructed with fidelity to its original forms, respecting the arrangement of semicircular arches and openings that characterize it. This space, although restored with contemporary materials, retains the essence of its medieval design, offering a vivid testimony of monastic life and religious architecture in the history of Pina de Ebro.

  • Address
    C. de la Iglesia 3, Pina de Ebro, Zaragoza
  • Web
  • Visiting Hours
  • What to see
    Gothic Cloister

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment