Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Church and school of St Francis Xavier

The church of San Francisco Javier of Tudela, in the late Gothic-Prenaissance style, is an important architectural heritage located in the Old Quarter of the city. Built between 1517 and 1541 as part of the former Dominican Convent of Nuestra Señora del Rosario, today it belongs to the Jesuit College of the same name. This temple has three naves of three sections, star-shaped vaults and a large pentagonal main chapel. Although some of its original features have been lost, such as the tomb of Catalina de Figueroa and an altarpiece by Jerónimo Cosida, it preserves valuable historical elements, such as a 16th century Christ. The Colegio de San Francisco Javier, founded by the Society of Jesus in 1891, shares land with the church. This Catholic school offers secondary education and has specializations in special education and vocational training. Its history includes periods of ownership changes and adaptations, but it has endured as an emblematic educational institution in Tudela.

The Colegio de San Francisco Javier has been a reference in Tudela’s education since its foundation in 1891. Built thanks to donations from local benefactors, it has gone through several stages, including periods of management by the city and the Jesuits. Throughout its history, it has faced challenges such as the expulsion of the Jesuits during the Second Republic, but has managed to remain a prestigious educational center in the region. Together with the church of San Francisco Javier, the school forms a complex that has left a significant mark on the community, both in terms of architecture and education, contributing to the cultural and intellectual development of Tudela and its surroundings.


  • Address
    Pl. San Juan, Tudela, Navarra
  • Web
  • Visiting Hours
  • What to see
    Renaissance church

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment