Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Chapel of the Second Fall

The Seventh Station of the Via Dolorosa is marked by a chapel owned by the Franciscans, which only opens its doors on Fridays. Inside the chapel there is a column that belonged to the porticoes that flanked the Roman cardo. This place is associated with the second fall of Jesus, as mentioned by Bucardo in 1283. The Franciscans acquired the property of this station in 1875 and built two superimposed chapels in 1894 on the site of the large pink stone column, which most probably belonged to the Tetrapylon of Aelia Capitolina, a structure that marked the intersection of the main road (cardo) and one of the cross streets (decumanus) during Hadrian’s era.

    • Address
      6-8 Al Alam St, Jerusalem
    • Web
    • Visiting Hours
    • What to see
      Column fro Roman times

This post is also available in: Español Italiano

Leave a Comment